Most people are unaware that what they are consuming as purified water is not necessarily healthy water. Most water purifiers do not address the pH level of the water other than making it suitable for consumption. This leads to the consumption of acidic water, which can have profound health implications for the body. The benefits of drinking alkaline water needs to be highlighted here so that people can turn to healthier living.
What Does Alkaline Water Mean?
Alkaline water refers to water that has a higher pH level. Usually, water has a neutral pH of around 7, making it neither acidic nor alkaline. This property makes it suitable for consumption since it does not add to the acid or alkaline levels within the body.
Why is Alkaline Water Healthy?
The intestines and the digestive system are essential in breaking down all consumed food and usually have a slightly acidic pH. This makes the digestive process more accessible and stops harmful bacteria from inhabiting the body. However, sometimes it is possible for the acidity levels in the body to rise. In the short term, this can lead to gastric problems. This can severely cripple the body's immune response for a long time, leading to many health complications.
What are the effects of excessive acidity in the body?
Most of the food that we consume is acidic by default. They either contain organic acids or are heavily processed in factories and contain other cutting elements. Consumption of such a diet will automatically affect the body's natural pH level by making it more acidic. This can manifest in gastric problems like stomach ulcers, acid reflux, etc.
Even considering that gastric problems are tackled by taking supplements, this continuous increased presence of acidity in the body will lead to the formation of free radicals. This can lead to many adverse effects such as:
• High levels of glucose in the blood increase the chances of diabetes
• High levels of bad cholesterol
• The higher viscosity of blood leads to cardiovascular issues such as heart blockage
• Higher incidence of chronic gastritis
• Adverse side effects of hemodialysis in kidney patients
All of these can be linked to excessive acidity in the body. This makes the bodywork twice as hard to maintain normal bodily functions. In turn, this affects the body's immune response, as the cells are too occupied with keeping parts essential other than fighting off diseases. Hence, ultimately, excessive acidity can lead to a weak immune system.
How can Alkaline Water address these concerns?
All these issues can be adjusted and taken care of by drinking alkaline water. Since alkaline water has a higher pH level, it will automatically neutralize all excess acid in the body. When people take medicines for acid reflux or gastric problems, they consume alkaline supplements that can neutralize the excess acid in the stomach. This will not be a requirement if the person drinks alkaline water in the first place. Owing to its properties, alkaline water can also neutralize the free radicals that result from excessive acidity in the body. By doing this, alkaline water essentially rules out any scope of contracting the side effects that have been discussed above.
Several laboratory trials have proved the effectiveness of alkaline water in these respects. It has been observed that:
• Alkaline water can improve metabolic function over prolonged consumption and significantly decrease the adverse impacts caused by high blood sugar and triglyceride levels.
• Alkaline water can safeguard the beta cells of the pancreas against all kinds of oxidative damage.
• Alkaline water can help control cholesterol homeostasis, which can be revolutionary in addressing weight loss.
• Alkaline water helps flush out melamine, which can otherwise accumulate in the body and lead to kidney stones.
• Alkaline water consumption can increase the hydration of the blood, leading to better blood flow.
These are just some of the ways in which alkaline water can silently work its way into the body and prevent many health problems. Indeed, alkaline water is not a magic drink, and it cannot cure a person of all diseases simply by drinking one glass of it. One needs to make it a habit only to drink alkaline water to aid in a better and longer life.