Alkaline water refers to water that has a higher pH level than regular tap water. Typically, regular water has a neutral pH of 7, while alkaline water typically has a pH level between 8 and 9.5. The idea behind drinking alkaline water is that it can help balance the body's pH levels and neutralise acidity, which some believe may offer health benefits.
While drinking alkaline water in moderation is generally considered safe, consuming excessive amounts can have potential consequences. Here are some possible effects of consuming 11.5 alkaline water:
- Electrolyte imbalance: Drinking large quantities of alkaline water can disrupt the balance of electrolytes in your body. Electrolytes are minerals like sodium, potassium, and calcium that are essential for various bodily functions. Consuming excessive alkaline water may lead to an electrolyte imbalance, which can cause symptoms such as muscle weakness, irregular heartbeat, and confusion.
- Altered digestion: Alkaline water with a pH level of 11.5 is highly alkaline. Drinking such water may temporarily disrupt the acidic environment of the stomach needed for proper digestion. This can potentially affect the breakdown and absorption of nutrients, leading to digestive issues like bloating, gas, and indigestion.
- Potential harm to teeth: Alkaline water with a high pH can have a corrosive effect on tooth enamel. Over time, excessive consumption of alkaline water may weaken the enamel, making teeth more susceptible to cavities and tooth decay.
- Altered blood pH: The body maintains a delicate balance of pH levels in the blood. Drinking large amounts of highly alkaline water may temporarily disrupt this balance, potentially leading to alkalosis—a condition characterised by elevated blood pH. Alkalosis can cause symptoms like muscle twitching, hand tremors, nausea, and confusion.
- Interference with medications: Alkaline water can affect the absorption and effectiveness of certain medications. If you're taking any prescription medications, it's essential to consult your healthcare provider before consuming large amounts of alkaline water to ensure there are no potential interactions.
It's worth noting that individual tolerance to alkaline water may vary, and some people may experience more pronounced effects than others. As with any dietary change, it's always advisable to consume things in moderation and be mindful of your body's response.